FAQ | FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
SURF LESSONS | GENERAL
1. SHOULD I BOOK MY LESSONS IN ADVANCE?
If you are planning to come during high season (June until October) we highly recommend to book your surf lessons in advance. You can do it HERE. Even if you come during low season months, in order to guarantee a place for you, an email booking will be highly recommended.
2. HOW CAN I BOOK MY SURF LESSONS?
We have an online booking system, really easy and intuitive to use. Please click here, choose what type of lessons are you interested in and just follow the steps. We require a 20% deposit of the total amount in order to secure your booking. The lesson/s place & schedule will be informed closer to the date of the first lesson (+/- 3 days before).
3. WHATS THE RATIO BETWEEN INSTRUCTORS / STUDENTS IN THE GROUP LESSONS?
We have a maximum of 5/6 students per 1 instructor. This ratio will depend on the students level, place of the lessons and also the conditions. After the warm-up, we make the different groups and each level stays with a different instructor.
4. CAN I CHOOSE THE TIME OF THE LESSONS?
In order to provide the best surf lessons possible, the schedule changes every week according to the ideal tide, wave and wind conditions. We are only sure about the place and time for your lesson +/- 3 days before! During high season (May - October) we normally have 2 lessons a day, so you can choose which one suits you better. Surf lessons can be schedule in the morning between 7am and 1pm, afternoon between 1pm and sunset.
5. CAN I CHANGED OR CANCEL A PRE-BOOKED LESSON?
As you can read in our Cancelation Policy website page, no cancellations are allowed, only in case of serious illness or injury. If you let us know in advance (minimum 10 days) we can refund the deposit or re-schedule your lessons.
6. WHAT DO I NEED TO TAKE FOR THE SURF LESSONS?
We provide the equipment (surfboard and wetsuit). You only need to bring a beach towel, swimwear, sunscreen and we recommend to keep a bottle of water with you. Please avoid high valuable belongings (expensive cameras, laptops, etc.), even if you come with your own car or rental car.
7. WHERE DO WE MEET IF WE GO DIRECTLY TO THE BEACH?
CARCAVELOS: The meeting point in Carcavelos beach will be in front of the bar called ''Casa da Praia'' a blue bar in the middle of the beach. Google Maps link HERE
GUINCHO: The meeting point in Guincho will be in the parking lot between Crismina and Guincho beach, next to the Hotel / Restaurant called ''Fortaleza do Guincho'' - yellow fortress. Google Maps link HERE
8. CAN I KEEP THE SURF EQUIPMENT AFTER THE LESSONS?
The equipment is included only during the time of the lesson. If you want to practice more we charge an extra €15/pax for 2 hours surfboard + wetsuit). If you have a 5 lessons package and booked the morning sessions you can use the material for that price until the end of the second session :)
9. ARE THE LESSONS ONLY FOR BEGINNERS?
Whether you’ve been surfing for some time or it is your first time, we manage to prepare different surf groups according to each student level. We cover 3 different surf levels; beginners, intermediates and advanced (SURF GUIDING). According to this we offer different types of boards with different sizes and materials, soft and epoxy/fiber boards starting from 5'11 up to 9'0.
10. DO YOU OFFER LESSONS EVERY DAY? WHATS THE SCHEDULE OF MY LESSONS?
We have daily lessons: 2 surf sessions during the mid/high season (March – October) and 1 lesson during the low season (November – March). During low season we might not have lessons every day due to the conditions. We schedule our lessons every week, according to the best tide, wave and wind conditions. The schedule of your lessons will be sent by email a couple of days before your arrival.
11. WHAT THE MIN NUMBER OF LESSONS TO LEARN THE BASICS?
We always recommend our students to have a minimum of 5 lessons if they want to have a proper surf experience. For an intense surf learning the ''Surfing Days'' or ''Full Surf Pack'' in our Surf Camp would be the best option, with 2 x 2h surf lessons a day!
12. HOW ARE THE CONDITIONS IN LOW / MID SEASON?
To be honest, those are the best months to surf! In Cascais, we have Carcavelos beach that is really protected from the big winter swells (waves in the ocean) and perfect for learning! The wind is pretty much offshore every day, providing clean conditions. Weather-wise, the sun shines almost 70% of our Winter and outside temperatures go between 10ºC to 17ºC, with water temperature never bellow 15ºC.
SURF VILLA | SURF LESSONS
1. WHEN WILL MY SURF LESSONS START?
The surf lessons are programmed to always start on the day after your arrival. The exact hours of the lessons change every week, according to the best conditions, so we can’t tell the exact time for your start. If you wish to start on your arriving day or later please let us know.
2. SHOULD I ARRIVE ON A SPECIFIC DAY OF THE WEEK?
We try to have everyone checking in / out from Saturday to Saturday and have lessons from Monday to Friday.
This way you will be with the same group for the entire week and have the video/photo coaching in the middle of the pack. If you can't arrive on a Saturday, try to arrive Sunday. However, no worries if you can't make it on those days.
3. MY FRIENDS ARE NOT ATTENDING THE SURF LESSONS, CAN THEY HAVE THE BEACH TRANSFERS AS WELL?
We have a package exactly for them (Bed & Breakfast). That includes; accommodation, beach transfers and 1 or 2 yoga sessions.
4. DO YOU HAVE LESSONS EVERY DAY? WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE FOR MY LESSONS?
We have daily lessons: 2 surf sessions during the mid/high season (March – October) and 1 lesson during low season (November – March). We schedule our lessons every week, according to the best tide, wave and wind conditions. The weekly schedule is available every Sunday on the whiteboard in reception.
SURF VILLA | ACCOMMODATION
1. HOW DO I ARRIVE AT THE VILLA BY LISBON AIRPORT?
There are 4 main ways to get here from Lisbon Airport:
- TRANSFER: We provide transfers from/to the Lisbon airport for 35€ - 1pax / 40€ - 2pax / 45€ - 3pax / 50€ - 4/6pax. These are total prices per ride / one way. To book we require the flight number; arrival hour in Lisbon airport and a phone number to contact you in case of delays. Please request your transfer with at least 48 hours in advance.
- UBER: Cheaper option than a Taxi if you want a door to door service. Ask for an Uber when you are going out of the bags delivery (normally takes around 5-7min) and find him outside on Departures parking lot. He will take you to Cascais in around 20/40min (depending on the traffic) and will cost you 35€/40€.
- TAXI: Takes more or less 35/40min and costs during the day around 40€ and during the night 45€ for the ride.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT: Take the Metro (Red line) on the Airport and go to Alameda station. In Alameda you have to change from the Red line to the Green Line and go until the last stop Cais do Sodré. In Cais do Sodré take the train all the way to the last stop that is Cascais. The full ride will take 1:30h. From the train station to our Welcome Center / Shop is a 10min walk from the train station. Then you get a free ride to the Villa with us :)
2. CHECK IN & CHECK OUT:
The check-in hour is from 2 PM forward only. Feel free to stop by before and drop your luggage.
The check out hour is anytime before 11h00.
3. DO YOU PROVIDE BED LINEN & TOWELS? WHAT ABOUT AMENITIES?
All the beds (including shared rooms) have clean sheets, blanket, and shower/face towels. For maximum comfort, the toilets in the private rooms have shampoo and shower gel. We also have beach towels to rent for an extra 4€ (full duration of your stay).
4. DO YOU PROVIDE ANY MEAL BESIDES BREAKFAST?
Only breakfast is included in the price. However, we have a fully equipped kitchen where you can prepare your meals and a fridge where you can store your food.
5. ARE THERE ANY RESTAURANTS CLOSE TO THE VILLA?
There are a few restaurants closed to our Surf Villa within 10 minutes walking. The closest bus station with direct bus to Cascais is also 10 minutes away walking, where you can find a bigger variety of restaurants, shops, and supermarkets. A Uber to Cascais center will cost you around 5€, you will always meet people that want to share it with you if you are traveling alone.
6. IS THE FREE PARKING AROUND THE VILLA?
We don't have a private car parking however, there are lots of free parking spots around the Surf Villa. It's a really quiet and residential area. On your GPS write the address ‘’Rua Fernando Pessoa 26, Alcabideche’’ and park your car at any place around there.
7. HOW A DAY AT THE VILA LOOKS LIKE?
Please click HERE to read our Blog post about it.
8. WHAT CAN I DO AROUND THE VILLA WITHOUT A CAR?
We also did a Blog post about it, please check it HERE.
DO YOU STILL HAVE DOUBTS? DON'T HESITATE TO CALL OR EMAIL US :)